the moderate epicurean

a quest for measured pleasure...

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sigmund Louis Levy
3/29/92 - 3/11/07

A very sad day indeed - I had to put down our beloved dog, Sigmund. He's been quite frail for the last several months, so we've known that each day he's felt good was a little gift. Not many Gordon setters get to be almost 15 years old. I returned from Shirley Taylor's funeral yesterday morning - Sigs had stayed with our friend Marty while I was gone, since John is skiing in Colorado, not due back until tomorrow. Marty said that Sigs had had a rough night Thursday night, unable to stand for parts of the night. He was pretty perky yesterday morning when I picked him up, however, and seemed fine all day. Then all of a sudden last night he was completely unable to walk or stand. Nathan and I got him settled for the night, but this morning he was even worse, very disoriented and unable to eat or drink. I called the Golden Valley Emergency Vet and took him in early this afternoon. They were wonderful and so respectful. They gave me all the time I needed to talk to him and say goodbye. I held him while he passed away and I have to say, having never before witnessed a death, I was honored to be there with him and so grateful for how gentle and peaceful his passing was. Sigmund could not have been a kinder animal. He was as purely sweet as they come and we are sadly aware of the loss of such a gentle soul from our lives. Rest in peace, Roo.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH Stephanie, I'm so sorry.....

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Suz said...

My dear friend, I'm so sorry for you, John, Nathan and A. Truly a loss, what a sweet guy he was. He was lucky to go the way he did, with you there beside him.

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your post last night with my aging boxer's chin on my knee, and was brought to tears. Thoughts are with you - and thank you for a delightful blog that satisfies with every serving!

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts Donna, Suz, and Kelly. Sad days for awhile...damn dogs for being so lovable and sweet. Damn.

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry for you and your family. Poochies tend to work their ways deep into our hearts. I have heard so much about him, that I know he was a great guy.
Now he's healthy, happy, and oh so frisky!!
Lisa (Radcliffe) Lorenz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home